The first public gallery in France to have been dedicated to photography, a place of production and distribution, the Château d’eau presents exhibitions, publishes books, organizes residencies and mediations. The gallery is located in the old water tower in downtown Toulouse, built in 1823. Disused for a century, it was saved from demolition, thanks to Toulouse photographer Jean Dieuzaide. The gallery opened its doors to the public in 1974 with a first exhibition dedicated to Robert Doisneau. The biggest names in photography have followed one another on these walls: Edward Weston, Willy Ronis, Imogen Cunningham, Bill Brandt… In 1990, a library specializing in photography and a second gallery open to emerging talents were set up.
Since 2021, the artistic direction has been entrusted to Christian Caujolle, former founder and artistic director of the Vu agency. A young literary student in Toulouse, it was at the Water Tower that he discovered photography in 1974.